I need to learn how to make homemade salted eggs because it is so very hard for me to get any where I am right now.
How to make salted eggs
Apparently one can make salted eggs with either chicken or duck eggs. It is hard if not impossible for me to get duck eggs where I am. So I will be making salted chicken eggs.
- Get your eggs.
Here I used 12 eggs.
- Check eggs are clean and have no cracks.
- BOIL WATER
Pour apprx 1L (or 4 cups) of water into saucepan.
(optionally add in:
• couple slices of ginger
• 1-2 star anise
• black cardoman
• 1 cinnamon stick
• few cloves
They will help fragrant the eggs and to accelerate the brining process)
- Bring water to boil. Then simmer for 5 mins.
- Dissolve 200-250grams of salt (about 1 cup).
(opt: add 1 tsp of sugar)
• You will know you have sufficient salt when you can no longer dissolve any salt in the hot water or
• drop a couple grain of cooked rice into solution. If it floats, then solution is salty enough.
- Allow solution to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile carefully put eggs into a large (enough) container that has a lid.
Make sure that you have like 1-2inches above the eggs before the lid goes on.
- Pour the cooled salt solution into container.
- The eggs will start to float. Fill a plastic bag (or zip lock bag) with cold water. Gently place and spread on top the eggs to fully submerge the eggs in the salt solution.
you can also use a plate or lid to weigh down the eggs. As long as it does not crack the eggs and you can still put on the container lid.
- Cover the container. Place in cool place.
Brining should take about 4 weeks (max. 5).
Need a Faster Way to Make Salted Eggs?
Apparently one can make salted eggs even faster. Like within a day! I have not tried this yet but here is a link to a video tutorial on Fastest Way to Make Salted Egg Yolk (within a day)