Herbaceous perennial. Produces fluffy pink flowerspikes. Ideal for cut flowers. Low maintenance. Good as a bordering plant or to line side of a fence.
Seeds from Australian Plants Online.
Astilbe Chinensis Brilliance Growing Guide
Sow (when, temp, soil, location)
- shady and damp sites
- loves clay soil
- sow in spring or autumn
- sow in moist, quality seed raising mix
- directly into final position or seed pots – keep moist & shaded. Keep moist with spray.
- sow on top of soil – do not cover with soil! Press down gently.
- warm, shady place to germinate
- if sowed in pots, transplant when large enough to handle (2-4 leaves)
- once established, can mulch to protect shallow roots
- Germinates in 15-16 weeks
- TIP: If still does not germinate few weeks after sowing, put seeding pot/tray into fridge for 3 weeks to break seeds’ dormancy!!
- for extra long flowering, remove spent flowers. Feed with liquid fertiliser.
- Height: 60cm
- Can divide every few years
Our xxx Progress
- Astilbe – seed (australianplantsonline.com.au)