Carrot Growing Guide
Sow (when, temp, soil, location)
Note: I assume the sowing chart is for the most common carrots. I will correct this later if in error.
- sow directly; 5-6mm deep. Lightly cover with soil.
- well-drained, soft, moist soil. Remove lumps or stones before planting (otherwise you might get weird looking carrots!)
- sun or partial shade (at least 6 hours of sunshine)
- 5-10cm spacing
- rows: 10-30cm
- prepare soil with complete fertilise before sowing
- germinate: 10-12 days
- whenever carrots large enough to eat – apprx. 15-18 wks
- recommended not to leave in ground over winter. They may split which will attract slugs.
- NOTE: for continuity, sow every 2 weeks
- water regularly during growing period.
- then water at least 1 inch per week
- weed esp early stages.
- while germinating, keep soil moist (eg mulch or cover with newspaper. Remove newspaper as soon as sprouts appear)
- slugs love carrot seedlings so
- thin out carrots when plant about 5cm tall to give room for the plants.
- can fertilize once a week with liquid fertilizer
beans, chives, coriander, cucumber, garlic, lettuce, leek, marjoram, onion, peas, radish, rosemary, sage, shallot, tomato
- tolerates light frost only
Progress of Our Carrots
I am just re-growing carrots from the supermarket. Progress photos added when available.
4 Nov 2017: Carrot disappeared! 🙁
Carrot (Early Nantes)
(seeds purchased from AustralianPlantsOnline)