Carrot Growing Guide
Note: I assume the sowing chart is for the most common carrots. I will correct this later if in error.
- well-drained, soft, moist soil. Remove lumps or stones before planting (otherwise you might get weird looking carrots!)
- plant only 6cm deep
- sun or partial shade (at least 6 hours of sunshine)
- tolerates light frost only
- 5-10cm spacing
- rows: 10-30cm
- weed esp early stages.
- while germinating, keep soil moist (eg cover with newspaper. Remove newspaper as soon as sprouts appear)
- slugs love carrot seedlings so
- thin out carrots when plant about 5cm tall to give room for the plants.
- can fertilize once a week with liquid fertilizer
- whenever carrots large enough to eat
- recommended not to leave in ground over winter. They may split which will attract slugs.
beans, chives, coriander, cucumber, lettuce, leek, marjoram, onion, rosemary, peas, radish, rosemary, sage, tomato
Progress of Our Carrots
I am just re-growing carrots from the supermarket. Progress photos added when available.