Basil can be grown indoor or outdoor.
Basil Growing Guide
- early summer, or in pots
- can be propagated from cuttings
- average, well drained
- single plant: 20cm
- rows: 15cm
- watering seedlings: cannot handle deep watering. Use sprayer or mister.
- water when dry: use finger test
- watering adult, in ground: usually weekly but check dryness/over moisture (can produce rotting, mildew, fungus)
- cuttings: place in glass of water, on windowsill, with good sunlight. Change water every few days. Wait till roots are about 2 inches long (maybe 2-4 weeks) before transplanting.
- harvest leaves to keep it bushy
apricot, capsicum, tomato
Our Basil Progress
Can’t remember where we got this from. Maybe local market? This, I think, is the common basil.
Tip: Why Basil Leaves Turn Yellow (planterspace.com)
Don’t know what variety of basil this (below) is. Strong fragrance. But we have not tended to it for years. Left on balcony. Still alive but probably could do with some care and pruning.
- Basil Growing Guide (growveg.com.au)
- How to Prune Basil (youtube.com)
- Tips for Cutting Back Basil (gardeningknowhow.com)